Ir al contenido principal

Fifth Journal


In fifth grade, this week I planned my class around the topic of countries and their flags. At the end of the class, students would have to recognize the flag that represents each country, make a role play telling where they are from, and represent the cultural aspects of our country (Colombia). Thus, during the class, the students focused on a map where they found the different countries from the world, and through some pictures, they recognized the flag from each country. In this class, students could know where the countries were located on a world map. Besides, they worked in the creation of a flag according to the country I gave them. When they finished making the flags, we socialized them through a role-play, they just had to ask and answer the question “Where are you from?” We pasted all the flags on the board, and then I asked them what country each flag was.  Students showed great enthusiasm in these activities because they enjoyed a lot talk about other countries, and the idea to travel around the world.
However, I was too ambitious when I was planning this lesson because I thought students could learn about the Colombian culture at the end of the class (this was the last activity). So many activities for one class is very hard for students since they spent a lot of time doing one activity. I as a teacher have to understand students’ way of learning and the time for doing the activities in class. I don’t have to take the students too fast because they can’t learn very well. The time from each activity is important for students’ learning. So, the next time I could teach this lesson I would delete the part of Colombian culture. I’d just focus on teaching the names of the countries, the flag of each country, and location on a world map.
In third grade, I couldn’t teach the English classes since one day students did not come this week,   

Comentarios